Couple found dead in matrimonial bed in Kano

A couple has been found dead on its matrimonial bed in Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.
Police Public relations officer ,Kano police command , SP Abdullahi Haruna-Kiyawa, in a statement in Kano on Wednesday, said the couple must have died of suffocation from charcoal fumes.
He gave the names of the couple as Sulaiman Idris, 28 and Maimuna Haliru, 20.The statement said, “We received a report on January 3, at about 9 p.m from Kwa Village in Dawakin Tofa LGA that a couple was discovered not to have come out of their matrimonial home since they were last seen on January 2 about 11 p.m.
“When the grandmother of Idris forced the door open, she discovered the couple motionless on the matrimonial bed, with smoke odour pervading the room.
“On receipt of the report, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Mamman Dauda, directed a team of detectives led by CSP Ahmed Hamza, DPO Dawakin Tofa Division to proceed to the scene.
“The bodies of the victims were removed from the scene and rushed to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Kano where a medical doctor confirmed them dead,” Haruna-Kiyawa said.
He said that preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased couple lit a charcoal fire to warm the room due to cold weather.
“They locked up and got suffocated by the smoke that emanated from the burning charcoal while fast asleep,” he said.
He said investigation on the incident was still in progress.
The police public relations officer advised the people to always take safety measures, be careful while using fire from charcoal,
because hamattan season was associated with high risk of fire outbreaks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *