Fire destroys Property worth millions of niara in Enugu

Property worth millions of niara  had been destroyed in an  early morning fire outbreak that occured  on Monday at No 7 Chiene Street, Achara Layout, Enugu,  Enugu state .

This came barely ten days after a mentally challenged person set a two-storey building on fire at Bigard Seminary Avenue, Uwani, Enugu.

Though no life was lost in the latest inferno, which occurred around 7.00am while residents were still beginning to observe the usual Monday’s sit-at-home.Property worth millions of naira were destroyed in one of the flats on the top floor that was seriously affected.

The  intervention of men of the Enugu state fire Service saved the entire building from being razed .

The Octogenarian Widow Land lady of the building, who hails from Oraifite in Ekwusigo Local government area of Anambra state,  and her daughter who is the occupant of the affected flat, were speechless and  traumatized.

An eye witness,  Hon. Chika Nzelu, said “it’s really sad and unfortunate.

Hon. Nzelu, who was a former Aide to the immediate past Governor of Anambra state, Chief Wily Obiano, said residents and passerby made efforts to extinguish the fire but to no avail, as it was beyond what one can control with just ordinary water.

He  commended the Enugu state fire fighting men for responding , but regretted that they came a bit late when the fire had almost wrecked serious havoc on the building, stressing the need for prompt response during emergencies as fire disaster.

 Leader of the Enugu fire Service team that salvaged the situation,  Chukwuma Ugwuaneke, said “we got a distress emergency call from residents of this area this morning alarting us that there was a fire outbreak at # 7 Chiene street.

“On recieving the call, we immediately mobilized our men and fire engine to the scene. And we thank God that we were able to control and extinguished the fire at the point we met it.

He advised Enugu residents to always take fire precautionary measures very seriously, adding that people must always switch off their electrical appliances before going out, clear bushes around their houses especially this period of harmattan, above all ensure that they have fire extinguisher in their homes

Ugwuaneke, urged the people to always call the fire service emergency phone numbers when ever there is fire incidences in the areas so as to enable them intervene before such fire escalates to a dangerous level.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *